Thursday, November 29, 2012

Satire

I thought the class period that we discussed satire was very interesting. I didn't realize that it had a deeper meaning. Satire can be used to bring an issue to the table. In the speech that we read, I had a hard time telling which type of satire was which. It was full of statements that were sarcastic and ironic. It was effective in evoking a clear message. It was interesting that such a message of freedom and growing up could be displayed through satire. I think that satire is used more often than expected. I really enjoyed coming up with the headlines in class because it showed the practical use if satire. It can be used in the wrong way though. If specific names are mentioned or hurtful subjects discussed, satire can cause a lot if damage. Just like in writing, when using satire it is important to keep in mind the audience. It was a nice change from the normal literature that this class focuses on and I really enjoyed the headline that Mr. Mullins came up with. I thought it was interesting how The Clockwork Orange uses satire but in a completely different way. It is very serious and it is used to make the reader challenge their thoughts. From what I've heard, satire is effective in that novel. I enjoyed this lesson a lot!


No comments:

Post a Comment