Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Dark White Tiger


The main character in The White Tiger is Balram. He grew up in a village of darkness. There was no escaping the darkness, those born into darkness and those born into the light pretty much stayed there. The dark side of India consists of the poverty stricken and slum villages where government regulations and codes are thrown out the window. Then there is the lightness, where the rich are served by members of the dark and money is the least of their worries. Balram made his way to the light by cheating, lying, killing, and stealing. I wonder if it is even worth it to live in the light. Is it worth sacrificing family, your morals, your dignity, or your life to live like those in the light? I don't think so. In the novel, it seemed that those people living in the light were full of darkness. They could not see happiness in any situation and they consumed themselves with material things to numb the pain of their sad lives. In this story, I believe that everyone lived in darkness. And I believe that to be true for most people today. The poor strive to be rich and the rich strive to be content. It is a constant struggle that is just exhausting. What is the point of it all? I really love that Balram made a change in his life. I believe that hard work and dedication can defeat anything. The only problem with his success story is how he got there.


1 comment:

  1. Well I like your blog and I actually just put this book on hold at the library so now I'm pretty sure I know my Independent reading book #3 :)

    ReplyDelete