Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Road


When I first picked up The Road I was immediately hit with the feeling of isolation and loneliness. McCarthy so far has done a great job in setting the mood of darkness. I think he has described darkness and ashes in as many ways a person possibly could. I actually really enjoy his writing style and the way he writes the dialogue. Even though I can’t understand half of his thoughts and passages, I like the way it seems so natural. He writes as though he went into the character's minds to hear their thoughts. In the beginning everything seemed confusing and scrambled. As McCarthy revealed details of their journey, I began to grasp a better understanding for what was going on. Everything seemed to click when the father dreamt of the mother. She is used as a parallel between their past life and where their future may go. She reveals what the father is actually thinking about death and how it may be a better option. It is interesting that she provides so much insight into the father's character. The boy has only ever grown up in this apocalypse setting. I think he portrayed as being too scared and vulnerable because this has been all he's been exposed to. The book became very interesting when the father found the food. Until this point everything was depressing and it all sounded the same. I really enjoy this book and I can’t wait to see what will happen next.


No comments:

Post a Comment