Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Road pt. 2


The Road recently has gotten really exciting. I've enjoyed reading about the journey the father and son embark on together. I've learned a lot about self motivation and the motives behind it. The father is prolonging his and his son's death when they could be put out of their misery. When I first found out what the mother did, I thought it was ridiculous and insane. I see her reasoning now. The two of them are just walking through darkness hoping for a better life once they reach the shore. They reached the shore, but nothing was new. It was still dark and freezing. I wonder why McCarthy wrote about hopelessness for 200 some odd pages. I realize that the relationship between the boy and father was special, but the darkness dragged on. I'm not sure how it ends, but I have trouble seeing it as a happy one. The way McCarthy wrote his thoughts on the pages was interesting. At times I had no idea what he was saying, yet at others it seemed like poetry. I love the way the dialogue was written because it seems so much more natural without all the punctuation. I'm eager to find out the way it ends, good or bad. This book is a good read for AP English because it is a high enough literary level, yet it grabs your attention and does not give it back.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, could you send me the source of our picture? I would like to get permission to use it.

    ReplyDelete