Thursday, October 18, 2012

Fear of Thesis Statements


Hmmmm, where to start with thesis statements. I have a fear of writing thesis statements and I have no idea why. I guess I feel a pressure like what Mr. Mullins was talking about to summarize every aspect of the story into one short and concise  When I go to write a thesis statement, I have a hard time focusing on the central idea and coming up with everything else. I have a hard time putting my thoughts into words and making it sound intellectual and right. I envy those people who can whip up a theme or thesis statement out of what it seems to be thin air. I guess I never really learned how to write a thesis statement the correct way. I was taught a so called formula where you just plug in the theme and supporting details. So when Mr. Mullins told the class that there was a better way to write one, I was, and still am quite confused. I also have the problem of relying on the prompt too much. I need to learn how to incorporate my own vocabulary and ideas into my thesis statement. I am glad I took this class because I really need to learn how to write a strong thesis before college. Hopefully I can get better at it. I think people have such a difficult time with it because it is the main part of the paper and you base everything off of that one statement. If you have a bad thesis, you will have a bad paper. Also, I feel like it is really hard to include all the important points of the story in one sentence. Lets hope I can overcome my fear and write some strong thesis statements soon!

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problems! Whenever I feel like I include all aspects of the story in the thesis, it ends up being too general or vague. I also have a hard time getting away from the formula that we learned last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel as if everybody is having the same problem! Hopefully we can all work together to try and make this process as painless as possible.

    ReplyDelete