Thursday, October 11, 2012

Electronic Textbooks

My view on electronic textbooks is that I think they are awesome! How convenient would it be to pull up all the textbooks you need on one device? No more heavy backpacks or strained backs! I love that the article mentioned how this new electronic network would offer help and have make up work available. It would be so easy to make up a quiz electronically and thus not fall behind in the class. There are a few problems with this transition. Every student would need a laptop or tablet and for some school districts that would not be practical. Every school district doesn't have the funds available to provide each student with a laptop. Also, just like music, textbooks could be copied. This new network could possibly rob current textbook companies that make their money from printing textbooks. I think the positives outweigh the negatives and I am excited to see the future of he textbook world. Even though this is my last year of highschool, textbooks are still used in college. And in college textbooks are very expensive, so hopefully if this electronic textbook network is set up, it will lower the cost of textbooks. I think it is important for the United States to keep up South Korea electronically. If books are electronic, hopefully more students will have the opportunity to have textbooks and learn. Because South Korea is so advanced academically, maybe this electronic kick can boost the United States up to South Korea's standards. A cool aspect that electronic textbooks would offer would be the live streaming network that could offer help. There have been times where I have been stuck on a math problem and I wish I could ask a specific question and have an answer instead of going in early for help the next morning. I think that this would be so helpful for students and this would open so many doors and really improve the education system. I agree with Mr. Mullins that novels would be quite difficult to read electronically. I have a kindle and I have read quite a few novels on oit, but I don't mind it because it is an opaque screen and it doesn't have a touch screen. Overall, I really hope that this plan is carried through by 2015 so that the textbook world would become more efficient.

2 comments:

  1. I've always thought that it would be neat to just carry around a laptop not a backpack full of books. Maybe in college we will get that opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me old fashioned but I'm not sure if I like the idea of electronic textbooks or not. I feel like there could be so many complications with technology that it could become frustrating at times.

    ReplyDelete