Thursday, September 6, 2012

Interpreter of Maladies View Point

While reading this story, I was surprised that it had more commercial characteristics than literary characteristics. Lately we've mostly read literary works so this was a nice change. The story line is pretty simple and easy to follow. I feel bad for both Mrs. Das and Mr. Kapaski since they are both stuck in marriages where they don't love their spouse any more. Mrs. Das' marriage is based on lies and cheating, and Mr. Kapaski had an arranged marriage. This story taught me the importance of finding the "right" person to marry. Both characters discovered something new in themselves just by opening up to one another. Even though the story didn't end in the happiest way, I feel like both characters grew tremendously and found how the truth can be so freeing even if it isn't completely told. I liked how Mr. Kapaski felt a lot of self worth when he used to feel worthless to society all because of Mrs. Das. I also feel like their relationship was a little weird just because Mrs. Das was so closed off to talking to anyone, her husband included, yet she opened up to him so much. Even though their communication pathway was lost, they still had the memories which left me with a sense of hope.

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious as to why you find this to be more commercial than literary (and don't read that as a judgment that you're wrong in that estimation). This is obviously one of those stories that has elements of both, so it's hard to distinguish which side of the spectrum to place it. I think I see it as more commercial because of the ambiguity and thematic depth. I'm glad you see the resolution as offering hope, but I still felt a little unsure about where things were going as it wrapped up. And I felt so bad for Mr. Kapasi.

    ReplyDelete