Thursday, September 13, 2012

Reading, Theme, and Senior Year

Now, when I signed up for this class I was aware that we would be doing a lot of reading, yet I didn't realize that it would be this much. Don't get me wrong, I love reading, but in this class I feel like I don't have enough time to digest the stories that we read. Maybe it is just because I don't leave myself enough time to read the stories and analyze them on a deeper level. I feel like in class discussions help in digesting the story a little better, but keeping track of all the storylines is starting to become a little hard. I think I may just need to go back and skim over the stories to get a better understanding of them. I am glad that we went over theme because I really struggle with finding theme in literary works, where it isn't as clear. I think the 7 item checklist will help me in writing the theme of a story during this year.

But on a side note, I think it's pretty crazy that senior year is flying by so quickly. The senior picture is tomorrow and I can't quite wrap my head around the idea that this will be my last year at Dunbar. As scary as college may seem now, I cannot wait to start a new chapter in my life. I think senior year is flying by so quickly because there are so many things to do in this first semester. I need to remind myself to step back and enjoy the time that I have left, because it will be over much sooner than it seems.
Anyways, hopefully I can keep these stories on track and don't forget to wear your red or white tomorrow!!

4 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same way about the stories. I'm soo glad we go over them in class too. But the difference between us is you think the reading's going by fast but I think that about the vocabulary :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to take some responsibility for the speed. I don't know what's different about this year (because I've used the same basic schedule for years), but we don't seem to be getting the time in class to talk about the stories as much as I'd like. I will make some adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that we move really fast through the stories. I find it hard to make the connections Mr. Mullins goes over in class. I hope that I can learn to make those connections on my own before the AP test!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also think that we are going pretty fast. But it helps that we talk about the stories in class. I am enjoying some of the stories so far even if I don't completely understand them.

    ReplyDelete