Thursday, August 30, 2012

Types of Fiction and Outside Reading

I've always loved to read and I'm the type of person who can spend an entire afternoon just absorbed in a good book. Before this class, I was only exposed to commercial fiction for pleasure reading. I didn't realize there were so many differences between commercial and literary fiction. I have a greater respect for literary writers now because the books they write are like an artist creating a painting on a canvas. Commercial fiction is just for the money and the story ends up the way the audience wants it to end. I don't like the way this gives the reader false hope for how things in life really end. That's why I like the way literary fiction is truthful and it doesn't water things down. I started my outside reading book, The Poisonwood Bible. I went to Mrs. Faris and asked her which of the books she recommended. She told me that she enjoyed The Poisonwood Bible a lot and that I would too. I've barely made a dent in it, but it seems like a really good book. I can't wait to see how the story progresses and how the characters develop. I also look forward to reading more literary novels throughout this year, and although commercial fiction is enjoyable and easy to escape to another world in, I realize now that there are so many other books out there that teach much more important lessons.

3 comments:

  1. I'm just like you and when I get absorbed in a story I can't put it down. I don't mind spending time reading by myself. It's awesome you're so enthusiastic about reading this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your analogy between an artist and a literary author! It definitely puts reading and writing into a different perspective when it's presented in a different form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about commercial and literary books. It will be exciting this year to read some new books to expand beyond just commercial literature. They have a better purpose than just the money makers of commercial.

    ReplyDelete